One of the biggest nights in Hollywood is around the corner on Sunday, March 4th, so I felt inspired to have a family movie night to gear up for the event! Tonight, we are watching Coco, which is nominated for Best Animated Feature Film.
Brecken is too young to follow along – or indulge in tasty movie snacks, so more for me! – but, of course, we are still including him. In honor of our movie night, I thought I would share some yummy recipes with you. I’m also sharing some must-have items from Wayfair to help make the most of a fun night in with family.
These simple snacks are always a huge hit! They are easy to make and addicting. It’s a great way to elevate store-bought pretzels by adding more flavor.
- 1 bag of snack-sized pretzels
- 1 packet of ranch dressing (dry)
- 2 tbsp. lemon pepper
- 2 tbsp. garlic powder
- 3 tbsp. dill (dry)
- 1 c. oil
Heat oven to 250*. Put pretzels in 9″ x 13″ cooking pan. Mix seasonings with oil and pour over pretzels. Stir pretzels and oil mixture until pretzels are coated. Cook for about thirty minutes or until oil is gone, stirring occasionally.
Sprinkle this on your popcorn for added flavor! You can also use this savory seasoning in other ways, too, like as a Bloody Mary glass rimmer or when cooking meat.
- 1 package of bacon
- 1/2 c. salt (fine)
- 1 tbsp. dill
- 1 tbsp. garlic powder
- 1 tbsp. freshly ground black pepper
Heat oven to 400*. Place bacon on a cooling rack over a cookie sheet lined with foil. (This helps to cook the bacon evenly and get it crispier!) Cook bacon in oven until cooked through, about thirty minutes. Put everything in a food processor and pulse until blended. (If you don’t have a food processor, you can crumble the bacon until pieces are small and mix everything together.) Store refrigerated for up to three weeks.
Strawberry Lime Moscow Mule
- 1.5 oz. vodka
- 4 oz. ginger beer
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 2 large strawberries, tops cut off
Muddle the strawberries and lime juice together. Add vodka and ginger beer. Finish with ice. Garnish with a strawberry and/or lime wedge.
I made a kid-friendly Strawberry Limeade, too!
Ice Cream Sundae Bar
I think this one is self-explanatory. Kids love activities that are hands-on, even better if they get a delicious treat at the end. Share in some fun by building your own ice cream sundaes!
My Must-Have Items for Family Movie Night
- Popcorn Maker – No movie night would be complete without popcorn! We used to have a popcorn maker just like this one, and we used it ALL the time. You can make healthier popcorn by adding as much oil and/or butter as you’d like. You can also buy flavor shakers from the grocery store. (I love adding white cheddar to my popcorn!) Popcorn pops quickly and evenly. I’m so glad I came across this one because it’s definitely going in my cart!
- Popcorn Bowls – Your kids will love these fun popcorn bowls! They will really help to make your family movie night seem official.
- Ice Cream Bowls – Did anyone else have these as a kid?! We did (in different colors) and my sister and I still remember them. What a cute way to snack on some ice cream sundaes during the movie.
- Cozy Faux Fur Blanket– I LOVE our faux fur throw blankets. They are so soft and perfect for getting cozy on the couch to watch a movie.
- Chunky Knit Blanket – Chunky knit blankets are all the rage right now. A well-made one is super soft and great for keeping warm.
- Over-sized Faux Fur Throw Pillows – Of course you need some soft, comfy pillows to prop yourself up against for optimal movie viewing.
- Serving Tray – Because you’re going to need some help carrying all the goodies from the kitchen. These serving trays are also great for use on a couch or ottoman, if you don’t have a coffee table.
- Moscow Mule Mugs – Moscow Mules are a refreshing and easy cocktail to make at home and enjoy during your movie. The traditional copper mugs used for this popular drink are just gorgeous. I need to get some for myself ASAP!
- Fun Cups for Kids – Kids need something fun to drink out of, too! These little juice cups are adorable.
Now, get comfy and enjoy the show!